Samsung Electronics Union Says It Will Launch Strike as Planned on May 21
Summary
- Samsung Electronics and its union failed to reach an agreement in post-mediation talks at the National Labor Relations Commission, and the union said it will begin a full-scale strike on May 21.
- The union had said about 50,000 workers would take part in an 18-day full-scale strike from May 21 through June 7.
- Samsung Electronics and the union have failed to narrow differences over issues including standards for bonus payments, and the union said it will continue efforts to reach a settlement during the strike.
Forecast Trend Report by Period



Samsung Electronics Co. and its union failed to reach an agreement in post-mediation talks at the National Labor Relations Commission. The Samsung Electronics chapter of the Korean Metal Workers' Union said it will proceed with a full-scale strike from May 21 as planned.
Choi Seung-ho, head of the Samsung Electronics union chapter, said in a statement on May 20 that the union had participated in the three days of post-mediation talks in good faith and had done its best to find common ground.
At about 10 p.m. on May 19, the union agreed to a mediation proposal presented by the National Labor Relations Commission, but management rejected it, Choi said. Just before the commission's chair was about to declare the mediation unsuccessful, Yeo Myung-gu, management's chief bargaining representative, withdrew that rejection and asked for more time, extending the talks into a third day.
But management still had not presented its final position by the morning of May 21, the union said. At 11 a.m. on May 21, the company repeated only that no decision had been made and ultimately did not state its position, bringing the post-mediation process to a close under the commission's procedures, according to Choi.
Choi expressed deep regret that the post-mediation process ended because of delays in management's decision-making. He added that it was unfortunate the talks concluded without the company making a final decision.
The union said it will move ahead with the strike as scheduled. It will legally begin a full-scale strike on May 21 and continue efforts to reach a settlement during the walkout, Choi said.
He also reiterated that the union had agreed to the mediation proposal put forward by the National Labor Relations Commission.
Samsung Electronics and the union have failed to narrow differences over issues including standards for bonus payments. The union has said about 50,000 workers will take part in an 18-day full-scale strike from May 21 through June 7.
Hong Min-seong, Hankyung.com reporter mshong@hankyung.com

Korea Economic Daily
hankyung@bloomingbit.ioThe Korea Economic Daily Global is a digital media where latest news on Korean companies, industries, and financial markets.
