Iran Negotiator Says Strait of Hormuz Won’t Reopen Until US Fulfills MOU Commitments
Korea Economic Daily
Summary
- Iran’s negotiator said the Strait of Hormuz would not reopen until the US fulfills the commitments set out in the memorandum of understanding (MOU).
- He said those commitments include ending the maritime blockade on Iran, lifting sanctions, and unfreezing Iranian assets.
- The US and Iran entered a 60-day negotiation period after the June 18 MOU, but no final agreement had been reached by the August 16 deadline.
Forecast Trend Report by Period



Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran’s former chief ceasefire negotiator and the speaker of parliament, said on August 18 that the Strait of Hormuz would not reopen until the US fulfills the commitments set out in the memorandum of understanding, or MOU.
Speaking on state television, Ghalibaf listed those commitments as ending the maritime blockade on Iran, lifting sanctions and unfreezing Iranian assets, AFP reported.
The US and Iran entered a 60-day negotiation period for a final agreement under the June 18 MOU. No final deal had been reached by the August 16 deadline, based on US Eastern Time.
Lee Su, Hankyung.com reporter 2su@hankyung.com
Korea Economic Daily
hankyung@bloomingbit.ioThe Korea Economic Daily Global is a digital media where latest news on Korean companies, industries, and financial markets.