Loading IndicatorLoading Indicator

PiCK

Iran Warns Trump of ‘Far More Devastating’ Consequences if War Resumes

Source
Uk Jin

Summary

  • Middle East tensions could rise again as the US weighs renewed military action and airstrikes against Iran.
  • Pakistan and Qatar have stepped in for ceasefire talks and mediation between the US and Iran, but Iran has maintained a hard line, calling the US an untrustworthy counterpart.
  • Iran said it had rebuilt its forces during the ceasefire and warned that if Trump restarts the war, the US will face more devastating consequences.

Forecast Trend Report by Period

Loading IndicatorLoading Indicator

Trump Abruptly Cancels Holiday Plans

Tensions Spike Over Prospect of Renewed US Airstrikes on Iran


Pakistan, Qatar Step Up Last-Minute Mediation

Iran Warns of ‘Far More Devastating’ Consequences

Photo: Shutterstock
Photo: Shutterstock

Pakistan and Qatar stepped up last-minute mediation efforts as the possibility of renewed US military action against Iran fueled fresh tensions. Tehran has kept diplomatic contacts alive while making clear it does not trust Washington. Concern is growing that Middle East tensions could flare again if the talks fail to produce a breakthrough.

Iranian state news agency IRNA and other local media reported on May 23 that Pakistan army chief Asim Munir left Iran after a second day of talks in Tehran with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. The sides also discussed diplomatic solutions to prevent US-Iran tensions from worsening during meetings that stretched late into the previous night.

Munir also met with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf. Ghalibaf is leading Iran’s delegation in negotiations with the US aimed at ending the conflict.

Pakistan and Qatar Push Last-Minute Mediation

Pakistan has taken on a mediating role in the latest standoff. Munir is known as a key figure behind the US-Iran ceasefire talks held in Islamabad in April. He is also reported to have direct access to President Donald Trump, putting the focus on whether his Tehran trip can help break the deadlock.

Ghalibaf strongly criticized the US in remarks to Munir. “We will not give up the rights of our country and nation, and we will never compromise, especially with a dishonest and untrustworthy counterpart,” he said.

He said Iran’s military understands the value of peace but “will never tolerate the trampling of the dignity and rights of the homeland.” He added that Iran’s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire. If Trump “foolishly” starts the war again, he said, the US would face consequences “far more devastating and painful” than on the first day of the war.

Qatar is also supporting mediation efforts. Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, the country’s prime minister and foreign minister, spoke by phone with Araghchi and expressed full support for continued efforts to reach a comprehensive agreement to end the crisis.

Sheikh Mohammed also addressed the Strait of Hormuz. “Freedom of navigation is a fundamental principle that is not open to compromise, and closing the Strait of Hormuz or using it as a pressure tactic would only deepen the crisis and threaten the core interests of countries in the region,” he said.

Qatar said Sheikh Mohammed also spoke with Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and discussed Pakistan’s mediation role in resolving the US-Iran conflict. Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar has also spoken with Trump, according to the Qatari side.

Trump Weighs Renewed Airstrikes

Photo: Shutterstock
Photo: Shutterstock

Developments in Washington are also accelerating. Axios and CBS News reported earlier that Trump is considering resuming airstrikes if Iran refuses to accept what the US has described as its final proposal. The US delivered that proposal to Iran on May 20 and warned that military attacks could resume if Tehran rejected it, the reports said.

Trump canceled his personal holiday plans after meeting senior national security officials. He had been scheduled to stay at his golf club in New Jersey after a speech in New York, but decided instead to return to the White House. He also canceled plans to attend a wedding event for his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr.

In a Truth Social post, Trump said he would not be able to attend weekend events because of “what is happening with the Government, and my love for the United States of America.” He added that he felt it was important to remain at the White House in Washington “at this important time.”

The military and intelligence agencies have also reportedly moved to a heightened state of readiness. The US is heading into the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but preparations are continuing for troop rotations in the Middle East and for possible Iranian retaliation.

The US and Iran have been under a temporary ceasefire since April 8. Both sides have refrained from attacking each other to buy time for indirect talks aimed at reaching an agreement. But with negotiations dragging on, the prospect of renewed airstrikes has resurfaced.

Saudi media at one point reported that a draft agreement had been prepared between Washington and Tehran. Iran is now denying that account. Tehran’s position is that talks are continuing on contentious issues, but no final outcome has been reached.

Trump has publicly signaled that he wants to wait a little longer. “Iran desperately wants a deal,” he said.

Hong Min-seong, Hankyung.com reporter mshong@hankyung.com

Uk Jin

Uk Jin

wook9629@bloomingbit.ioH3LLO, World! I am Uk Jin.
hot_people_entry_banner in news detail bottom articleshot_people_entry_banner in news detail mobile bottom articles

What do you think about this news?








PiCK News